1. Muslim should greet one another with “As-Salaamu-alaikum” meaning “peace be on you”, and it should be replied by “Wa Alaikum-As-Salaam” meaning peace be on you also”. All other methods are absurd.
2. One who taskes the initiative in offering salute gets greater reward.
3. If anyone conveys Salaam on behalf of someone, it should be replied thus “Alahim wa-alaikum as-salaam” meaning “peace be on you and him also.”
4. If out of group of person one salutes, then it is from all of them. Similarly if anyone from a gathering has replied the salutaion, its it also from all of them.
5. It is forbidden to salute with the motion of hand or head or bowing. But if anyone is at a distance and salute, then its is permissible to reply by raising hand but words of Salaam should also be utered with the motion of hand.
6. Muslim students studying in non-Muslim shcools should not salute in their (non-Muslim) fashion but strictly in Islamic way. They should greet their non-Muslim teachers and class-mates with “As-Salaamala man Ittaba’a-al Huda” meaning “peace be on him who performed allegiance” Words of salutaion of nonbelievers should not be uttered in any way